注册 登录
滑铁卢中文论坛 返回首页

风萧萧的个人空间 http://www.kwcg.ca/bbs/?61910 [收藏] [复制] [分享] [RSS]

日志

Tony LaMantia the CEO of the Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation

已有 408 次阅读2017-4-5 13:03 |个人分类:Frank's Writings

Tony LaMantia the CEO of the Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation 

Searched some information about about the CEO of  Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation - Waterloo EDC.
     Due to the particularity of the location, Waterloo represents the Canadian manufacturing center, therefore, the Waterloo EDC is a significant organisation for reviving manufacturing industry of Canada, the key is at how to play its role.
     It is imperative to rescue the deadly diseases of Canada - the extreme low productivity. Without a proper productivity, everything else is empty talk.
    My articles may provide some inspiration: 

The Fatal DNA of RIM & Canadian Enterprises

Authorize non-partisan Super leadership to assist social governance

Tony LaMantia Email Tony

Good things grow with new CEO

Region’s Economic Development Corporation CEO started Monday

NEWS Jan 06, 2016 by Melissa Murray  Waterloo Chronicle
https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-story/6220269-good-things-grow-with-new-ceo/

Tony LaMantia
Tony LaMantia started his job as the chief executive officer of the Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation on Jan. 4.

This week, there’s a new boss in town.

Tony LaMantia, the new CEO of the Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation, started with the brand new organization on Monday.

The Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation (WREDC) — which was incorporated last year and is funded by the seven area municipalities and the Region of Waterloo — will aim to provide a co-ordinated approach to economic development across the region.

“I’m really excited; I’ve got that natural queasy feeling,” LaMantia said in an interview last month.

“I’m really excited; I’ve got that natural queasy feeling.” 
— Tony LaMantia

“I look forward to being a part of the community and being part of a winning team. I want to be able to have an impact on the work that the good people of Waterloo Region are doing.”

For the last six-and-a-half years, LaMantia has worked for the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure, where he was the assistant deputy minister of the investment and industry division.

“It will be a very different kind of environment because I run a division with about 120 people, $17 million budget, so coming in to this opportunity — which is going to be building it from the ground up — is going to be quite a challenge,” LaMantia said.

The new corporation will receive about $1.9 million this year, pending final budget approval. The three cities will provide $200,000 each and the region will provide $684,000, with the townships giving the rest. In 2017 and 2018, the budget will be $2 million.

LaMantia got his start in Waterloo Region, after graduating from the University of Waterloo and completing co-op placements at IBM and Kimberly-Clark.

“I kind of consider myself a 52-year-old co-op student ... that experiential learning really follows through your entire career.

“I want to have an impact on the region (where) I got my start.”

Even though he’s familiar with the region, he said he has a lot to learn, and a lot of work to do in the months ahead. LaMantia said the first thing he’ll do as CEO is build a team, set priorities and create a collaborative tone within the region and with his board.

“After all, the funding partners matter. I know there is going to be a lot of scrutiny,” he said of his position.

“It’s going to be important for me to be present, to make sure that I stay in people’s faces.”

LaMantia will be responsible for accomplishing some of the goals set out in the region’s economic development strategy. With a limited budget and specific goals in the strategy, it will also be important for him to get to know the other players in economic development and the existing businesses to handle what the corporation can’t.

“We will have to work as partners with the other players in the region, cultural, university players, business, educational institutions,” he said.

But the success of economic development isn’t solely on his shoulders, although he is feeling some of that weight.

“The reality is it takes a community — a willing host community, good political leadership, the right business environment and talent.

“So I’m going to set the bar very high ... I can’t take for granted that there will be success, but I do think that all the ingredients are there for a successful organization.”

And whatever he did at the province, he’s leaving at the door.

“It doesn’t matter what I did at the province, no one cares here. And they are going to look to the corporation and to me to set an example — collaborative tone, results focused.”

While it’s important to attract new businesses to the region, he also recognizes how important it is to stay connected to the ones already here.

“We really have to stay engaged.”

For him that also means working with other cities, so if local companies need to expand to other locations, they are supported.

“I’m a big believer in that you can’t put white picket fences around a municipal border and expect it to be attractive for an international investor — it’s probably not attractive for local companies who want to scale globally.”

Iain Klugman, CEO of Communitech, worked with LaMantia many times before he was appointed to WREDC.

“A couple of things make him a winning formula,” Klugman said, citing LaMatia’s commitment to the community and his ability to see it differently because he admired it from afar.

“He knows the players around the world. He’s a phenomenal promoter, sales person, business development deal maker and then, on top of all that, he’s just a great guy; he’s a real collaborator.”

Klugman said the region was looking for something different. “Not boondoggles and cigars and red wine, but the strategic and bringing a sales process to the role and the function, he’s got all that.”

Tony lamantia - "Inveting the future"

http://www.exchangemagazine.com/currentissue/ExchangeVol34No3/ExchangeVol34No3.pdf

Slow start meant building a strong foundation

When Tony LaMantia was hired as first-ever President and CEO of the new Waterloo Regional Economic Development Corporation, he got very busy, very quickly – even if it didn’t look like it, at first.

Because, he explains, one of his first priorities was to listen. 

To listen to community leaders, from the business sector, the political arena, and the crucial education sector. His next priority was to assemble the right team, to tackle a challenging assignment.

So it may have seemed a bit of a surprise when, in late 2016, a lot of things seemed to start happening, including the rebranding of the whole enterprise under the caption, “Waterloo EDC – inventing the future.”

That’s no small accomplishment in itself – the multifaceted region has never been amenable to being marketed as a single brand, but somehow, LaMantia and his team have accomplished it.

LaMantia explains: “Global branding and positioning in the private sector is all about the clarity of your corporate identity, value proposition and competitive advantage. I feel that in many ways the brand chose us, and not the other way around. Our goal… will be to continue to work with our partners and key stakeholders to bring our compelling brand promise to life.”

The research carried out by the WREDC found that, “It was very clear that the name ‘Waterloo’ is how the international business community identifies this Region… By building on the world-renowned strength of the ‘Waterloo’ name, the new brand identity clearly conveys our Canadian identity, key points of positioning of our innovation eco-system, simplifies our message and conveys an ease of doing business in the minds of our target audience.”

The creation of the Economic Development Corporation is a major step for the Region. It replaced the venerable Canada’s Technology Triangle, but the mandate of the EDC is much broader that that of the CTT. It’s also a much leaner organization – it’s run by a 13-person board of directors representing the business and educational sectors – but significantly, there are no politicians or municipal administrators on the board. And now, one year into the existence of the Economic Development Corporation, the organization can boast a growing list of accomplishments.

The leadership team has been assembled, many lured from leadership positions in other organizations. LaMantia himself was recruited from his role as assistant deputy minister of the investment and industry division of the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development.
The EDC has begun to meet the key objectives identified by LaMantia and his team. He points out that they have already had success in attracting Foreign Direct Investment, and facilitating “scale-ups” as companies increase their footprint in the region.

The EDC is also working closely – and in surprising harmony – with the various municipalities, creating a one-stopshopping experience for companies looking to locate in the region. LaMantia’s motto in this area is, “There can be no ‘wrong door’ to great service.” The corporation is also working with the municipalities to finalize an inventory of investment-ready, shovel-ready sites.

LaMantia is enjoying the challenges of the new job. He may be working to lower expectations when he says, “On a $2 million budget, we’re not going to change the world,” but he cannot hide his enthusiasm for what WREDC has accomplished in its first year – trade missions to California, Germany and; a consensus achieved on the brand name; and an unprecedented level of cooperation between the regional municipalities.

LaMantia says, “We are an Economic Development Corporation… and we have rapidly become a very, very good one.”

路过

雷人

握手

鲜花

鸡蛋

评论 (0 个评论)

facelist

您需要登录后才可以评论 登录 | 注册

法律申明|用户条约|隐私声明|小黑屋|手机版|联系我们|www.kwcg.ca

GMT-5, 2024-5-10 14:34 , Processed in 0.020735 second(s), 17 queries , Gzip On.